As some trends die, others are born. Short sales and REOs are in their last days, and we need some inventory!
Builders have been hurt. They are being careful, and the banks are not backing them like the “old days.” We are seeing the “stirrings” with small and medium-sized builders.
The builders will need contact (call, letter, email, or personal visit) to remind them that you are their friend and colleague in this business. It is always easier to talk to with a potential client when you are delivering value. You feel better, and they listen better.
The reason our clients are so successful is that they have the best value propositions to the best seller demographics. Builders are no different. Offer value that eliminates the competition and causes the builders to talk about you, their new agent, at the golf course, at business dinners, etc.
Begin putting together your local, small and medium builder list. I would recommend starting with a letter explaining the value that your builder services offer and your promise of future contacts.
Here are the value propositions that will separate you from other agents:
1. Provide free evaluation of elevations and floor plans. Because after the last 8 years, you know what sells.
2. Offer daily MLS reports of all newly-listed land, lots, and acreage listings. The builder will get the new listings at the same time as every agent in town to keep them ahead of the competition.
3. Give guaranteed first notice of any new land that you (or your office) lists, prior to it hitting the MLS.
4. Inclusion of builders in your secret property search. If the builder is able to tell you their needs, you can do the following:
A. Contact owners who match their request from the tax records (call and write).
B. Check all old expireds for matching property and contact the old sellers to see if there is interest in selling.
C. Post their needs anonymously on your site looking for land owners with properties that match their needs.
D. Contact agents known to deal in the type of land you are looking for and “put in an order.”
E. Research and contact any for sale by owner sellers who may hold what you are looking for.
F. Watch notice of defaults and foreclosures.
5. Provide a 20% stipend. When you sell your listing from an individual(s) who is purchasing a property from the builder, you provide a 20% stipend back to the builder when you complete both sides of the transaction.
6. Take future limited partnerships. When you list multiple properties from a builder, offer to take commissions earned in limited partnerships on future builds. This preserves the cash flow of our builder clients.
7. Feature the builder and their projects on your website along with a link to request a quote on a new home.
8. Offer advance notice to your buyers of any projects the builder may contemplate with the goal of having the builder’s product sold prior to it being finished.
Get your list together, and send the builder(s) a letter with the above values included. Call to follow up on what they might like to receive. The relationship will be started, and you will discover their goals/needs that they want to accomplish over the next few months. Be the first to capture this evolving demographic!
Walter Sanford has been designing and implementing real estate systems for 30 years. One of the most successful REALTORS® and now wealthy from his systems, Sanford teaches his systems and strategies through his products, seminars, and personal coaching producing the best results in the industry. Do what works, do what is proven. Hire Walter Sanford. Call our office at 800.792.5837, email email@example.com, or chat with us online at www.waltersanford.com.