We believe that making our existing homes green require the latest in environmental fixes to help in preserving our environmental resources. We aren’t talking solar panels, fuel cells, windmills, and the benefits on or off the grid, but we are talking about easy things we can do to help save you money.
1. Replacing windows and doors. We have replaced the windows and doors on most of our properties with Energy Star windows, which save on energy bills by keeping the heat inside during the winter and outside during the summer. These windows may have two or more panes of glass, warm-edge spacers between the window panes, improved framing materials, and low-E coatings, which are microscopically thin metal or metallic oxide layers deposited on windows to reduce heat flow.
2. Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL). We also have been installing CFL bulbs in our homes. This type of light bulb is a simple way of making a big change at a low cost in the energy efficiency of your home. We purchase these bulbs because they will use 70 percent less energy than regular bulbs and can save $30 or more in energy costs over each bulb’s lifetime.
3. Energy Star products. In many of our rentals, where we have supplied a major appliance, we have purchased Energy Star appliances. Qualified refrigerators, dishwashers, and vent fans incorporated advanced technologies that use 10 to 50 percent less energy and water than standard models. The savings in energy costs to you make up for the slightly higher purchase cost by us.
4. More efficient toilets. When we replace toilets in our homes, we replace them with redesigned bowls and tanks that use less water but function more efficiently than first-generation low-flow models. In the average home, flushing toilets accounts for some 30 percent of water usage. New efficient models can reduce that use up to 25 percent.
5. Home insulation. We increase the amount of R-value (the measure of thermal resistance) in insulation. It is a cost-effective way to save energy and help reduce heating and cooling bills, which account for at least half of the energy use in the home.
As you can see, when you lease a home from Sanford Systems, we do everything we can to reduce its monthly costs in energy savings. These improvements not only allow you more financial comfort but it also gives you the knowledge that we’re doing everything we can to preserve the world’s resources. We want you to pay for less water and energy, thus creating less waste and using fewer natural resources. Another great benefit is that you will have better indoor air quality, lower energy and water bills, and less exposure to mold, mildew, and other indoor toxins.
Congratulations on considering a Sanford Systems rental home!