One of my coaching clients was having a problem with less than fruitful showing appointments for her rentals. Here’s the plan that we’ve implemented in our office and the plan that she’ll be implementing for her office soon, too!
Please ask the following questions to prospective tenants who call to inquire about a property.
1. How many people are you looking for a home for?
2. Does (rental amount) fit into your budget?
3. We only take two year leases. Are you comfortable with such a commitment?
4. Because of the condition of our rentals, we do not accept any pets, and we also do not accept any smoking or candles. Is that a challenge for you?
5. We require a $2,000 security deposit plus first month’s rent. Are you fine with that, assuming you love the property?
6. We cannot accept Section 8 or people with poor credit ratings. Can you tell me about your credit rating?
7. Once we agree that this home is perfect for you, we will require a non-refundable $52 background and credit check for everyone over 18 years old. Would that be agreeable to you?
Then you can say, “Great, I would love to show you the home. Because we have had some no-shows on showings, we would like you to call 30 minutes before our appointment. Once I get your call, I will leave the office. Thank you for considering our gold-plated homes.”
Please type and put this script/checklist in front of everyone who will handle incoming calls for your rentals. This list should cut down the number of poor quality rental showings.